Story and nurturing Massage for children with an ASD, Disability or additional need
- Massage reduces stress and anxiety, improves sleep habits, behaviour and social interaction
- Massage increases a release of dopamine and serotonin, influencing alertness, focus, concentration and a ready state for action
- Serotonin produces melatonin which influences sleep
- Massage increases oxytocin, known to assist with social bonds and feel a sense of love and belonging
- Stress levels are lowered due to massage decreasing levels of cortisol
- Massage can provide sensory stimulation
- Massage can be offer in the home for a more relaxed and comfortable environment
Improved calmness and concentration
Increased self-confidence, self-awareness and self-esteem
Improved social interaction
Many children learn their numbers and letters through story massage.
Story massage offers a way of learning and communicating through play and positive interaction with others. We create our own story massages from favourite stories and nursery rhymes, or have fun creating our own stories to focus on interest etc.
Pre-teen and teenagers
The need for physical touch plays a great importance for a young person going through the transition from child to adult. Pre-teens and teenagers can be self conscious and shy of both themselves as a person and of their bodies. Providing sessions to educate and allow for expression through touch, can have great benefits in building self esteem, learning to value themselves and others and thrive through feeling nurtured..not to mention the opportunity to relax, focus, de-stress and re-kindle a bond within the family. These sessions can assist children with challenging behaviour and additional needs as a hormone is released through positive nurturing touch is called oxytocin, this is also known as the ‘love’ hormone and is mainly known to be felt between mother and child during breast feeding. This has an amazing effect on everyone involved and so the caregiver can also benefit through the sessions.
MASSAGE AND CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES http://www.storymassage.co.uk/story-massage-people-learning-difficulties/
AUTISM AND MASSAGE http://www.pacificcollege.edu/news/press-releases/2015/05/06/benefits-relaxation-and-massage-autistic-children